Cisco has been in the industry since 1984 and up to now, they continue to deliver quality services and products. Based on Amazon Best Sellers, Cisco routers are of preference for most buyers. So, if you’re one of those who use this modem, you might want to know how to access Cisco router login. In the event you’re using a different model, don’t worry; we also have a written router login guide for you.
This article will explain in detail on how you can log in to your Cisco router. It will also show you the steps to change the default login credentials. Furthermore, it will help you in finding your IP address. Scroll down to know more.
Your Default Router Login
Logging in to Cisco router would allow you to configure settings and change the default password or username. You can also check some other basic information about your modem. Take a look at how.
- Connect your device, either computer or mobile, to your internet.
- Open a web browser and enter the IP address of your router. The IP address used for most CISCO router is 192.168.15.1.
- From the login page, enter your username and password. If you haven’t changed your default settings, type admin for username and Password for the code. (Note: Not all CISCO routers used this combination.)
- Hit the Ok button to access your web interface.
Router Login Details
Your router comes with a default username and password. You’ll need this if you’re going to access your modem’s settings for the first time. This is really important because you’ll need this in order to change your router’s settings.
The default username used commonly by CISCO routers is either admin or cisco. It varies depending on the model and unit of your modem. For password, they used the username or leave it blank. If you’re having a hard time figuring out your default username and password, you can check out this list.
Change Login Username and Password
For security reasons, it is advisable to change your default username and password. Not changing it would make you more susceptible to hacking and would jeopardize your security. So, take the necessary precaution by following the instruction below.
- Connect your computer to your modem using LAN or wirelessly.
- Launch your web browser and enter the IP address of your router. After that, a login page will appear.
- Enter your login details and click Login.
- Now, choose Setup from the Menu tab and go to Quick Setup.
- Input your new password on the box beside Pre-Shared Key. To apply the changes you’ve made, click Save Settings.
Resetting your modem can help you resolve problems that you encountered while connecting to your network. Actually, there are two types of reset which you can perform. One is soft reset and the other is a hard reset.
The former is done when you unplug your device and after some time, plug it again. This is advisable for it is fast and does not tweak your settings. In the event that it did not solve your problem, try the other setup—which is a hard reset. This is suitable if you forgot your assigned password and username. By doing this, you’ll be able to restore your settings to default. Here’s how:
- Find the Reset button on the rear part of your router.
- Press the button and hold it for 30 seconds. You may use the pointy end of your pen or clip.
- The modem will then reset automatically.
After resetting your router, your settings will be restored in its default mode. Thus, it’s recommended that you change your username and password right away.
Find Router’s IP
Most CISCO routers used one unique IP address, however, not all devices are similar. As such, you need to get your right IP address to access your router’s web interface. It’s really simple to know your IP. Take a look at the guide below.
For Windows users
- Open Command Prompt on your computer. You can do this by going to your search bar and typing cmd. Press the Enter button to open the app.
- Once done, input ipconfig then click Enter.
- From the list that will appear, find Default Gateway. The address shown is your IP.
If you’re a Windows 10 user, you can also follow these steps.
- Press the window icon on your computer screen and click Settings or the toggle icon.
- Upon clicking, a new window will appear. Choose Network and Internet > Status > View your network properties.
- Now, scroll down until you see Default Gateway.
For Apple users
If you own a Mac computer, then follow this instead:
- Launch a Terminal Window on your computer. Go to Finder > Applications > Utilities.
- From here, choose Terminal.
- Type netstat -nr | grep default and wait for it to process your command.
- Your screen will then display your IP.
For Linux users
- Press Ctrl + Alt + T to open Terminal Window.
- After that, enter ip route | grep default and click Enter.
- Your IP address will then be shown on your screen.
All in all, knowing the way on how to gain access to cisco router login is not a difficult task. It does not require technical knowledge or expertise. So long as you follow the instruction above, even a tech newbie can do the work.
You can check the login details of other routers in our router login list. If you have questions or queries which is not covered by this article, you may leave a comment at the box below. We’ll be glad to read or answer your messages. For other concerns, contact Cisco customer support.